PSC and COVID-19
On this page, we will post up-to-date information about the COVID-19 pandemic, as it relates to primary sclerosing cholangitis (PSC). For the most reliable information, always check with your medical provider.
Webinar with Three Medical Experts, who discuss COVID-19 as it relates to primary sclerosing cholangitis (PSC) and IBD.
The three experts answering questions and providing advice are:
Dr. Hirschfield is a hepatologist at the Toronto Centre for Liver Disease and Director of the Autoimmune Liver Disease Programme. He is a member of the PSC Partners Scientific/Medical Advisory Committee, and has been passionate for years about finding new therapies and a cure for PSC.
Dr. Korzenik is a gastroenterologist who is the Director of the Resnek Family Research Center for PSC and Director of the Crohn’s and Colitis Center at Brigham and Women’s Hospital and Harvard Medical School. He is involved in clinical care of people with these diseases. His research is focused on developing new therapies for PSC based on a better understanding of PSC and IBD. Dr. Korzenik joined the PSC Partners Scientific/Medical Advisory Committee this year.
Dr. Schofferman is a retired internist with a 30 year practice in pain medicine. He is primarily interested in psychological responses to chronic illness, mostly liver diseases. Dr. Schofferman has PSC and was transplanted in 2014, so he has the double perspective of patient and physician. For several years, Dr. Schofferman has been a highly respected speaker at PSC Partners’ annual patient/caregiver conferences.
Ricky Safer, founder and CEO, PSC Partners Seeking a Cure (bottom left)
Mary Vyas, president, PSC Partners Seeking a Cure Canada (top left)
Links to Important and Interesting COVID-19 (coronavirus) Information:
We have gathered links to articles and websites that provide more details about the current pandemic.
- Article from MIT: How to practice social distancing during the coronavirus pandemic
- Article from Crohn’s & Colitis Foundation: What IBD patients should know about the 2019 novel coronavirus (COVID-19)
- Information from National Organization of Rare Disorders (NORD) Peter L. Saltonstall on Coronavirus Prevention and Risk for the Rare Community
- Consumer Reports Article How to protect yourself when grocery shopping.
- Consumer Reports COVID-19 Resource Hub Here, Consumer Reports keeps posts updates on the coronavirus pandemic and shares advice on how to keep yourself and your family safe, covering: Health • Home & Home Maintenance • Daily Routine • Tech • Food & Cooking • Exercise at Home
- Center for Disease Control Information about COVID-19:
- Products to Fight COVID-19: The American Chemistry Council’s (ACC) Center for Biocide Chemistries (CBC) has compiled a list of products that have been pre-approved by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) for use against emerging enveloped viral pathogens and can be used during the current novel coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak.